The Triton

News

A.P. tests: Rio’s waters unsafe for athletes

ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Aug. 10, 2015

A.P. tests: Rio’s waters unsafe for athletes

Recent tests of the waters off Rio de Janeiro have revealed unsafe levels of viruses and bacteria from sewage that could make Olympians and visitors ill. Brazil is hosting South America’s first games in the summer of 2016.

The Associated Press conducted four rounds of tests over the past five months. Some athletes in the area training have already become ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.

“What you have there is basically raw sewage,” said John Griffith, a marine biologist at the independent Southern California Coastal Water Research Project, in an article by the New York Times last week. Griffith examined the protocols, methodology and results of the A.P. tests. “It’s all the water from the toilets and the showers and whatever people put down their sinks, all mixed up, and it’s going out into the beach waters.”

About 30 boats of all sizes paraded across Rio’s Guanabara Bay on Aug. 8 to protest the condition of the water, the AP reported.

Dr. Richard Budgett, medical director for the International Olympic Committee, said tests for bacteria only show that the water is safe.

“We’ve had reassurances from the World Health Organization and others that there is no significant risk to athlete health,” he said in news reports.

But most illnesses from water are related to viruses, so water and health experts in the United States and Europe have urges the IOC to include viral testing as well.

About a tenth of the athletes expected at the games will come in contact with Rio’s contaminated waters, including sailors, swimmers and rowers.

As part of Brazil’s bid to get the Olympics, authorities pledged to cut the amount of raw human sewage in Guanabara Bay before the 2016 games, the AP reported. One of eight proposed treatment plants has been built, and the bay’s waters remain contaminated.

Related Posts...
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded an $8.55 Read more...
The Florida Department of Transportation issued a feasibility study for Read more...
A charter cruise aboard a Miami yacht was abruptly ended Read more...
A 20m yacht burned today, June 17, near Porto Venere, Read more...
Ice loss in Antarctica has tripled in a decade, pouring Read more...

Share This Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer the question below to leave a comment. * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Editor’s Picks

Secure at Sea: The growing pains of cyber-security

Secure at Sea: The growing pains of cyber-security

Secure @ Sea: by Corey Ranslem When I heard about it, I was amazed but not surprised. The high-roller database at a major casino …

Crew Compass: Make time for yourself

Crew Compass: Make time for yourself

Crew Compass: by Lauren Loudon One thing that I’ve found difficult on boats over the years is making time for myself and doing things …

Latest news in the brokerage fleet: Bandido sells; Saint Nicholas, Rock.It listed

Latest news in the brokerage fleet: Bandido sells; Saint Nicholas, Rock.It listed

Yachts sold M/Y Bandido, a 137-foot (41.8m) Westport launched in 1989, sold in an in-house deal by Ocean Independence broker Chris …

Derecktor, Haack bid for Fort Pierce yacht facility

Derecktor, Haack bid for Fort Pierce yacht facility

By Dorie Cox Two bids to develop a megayacht repair facility in Fort Pierce, Florida, are under evaluation. Derecktor Holdings Inc. and …