The Triton

News

Number of crew jobs increases again

ADVERTISEMENT

YPI Crew, a recruiter of yacht crew, has released its annual compilation of yacht crew trends and statistics for 2016. Following are some key stats:

Since 2013, there has been a 37 percent increase in yacht crew jobs. For the second year in a row, the category of yachts over 71m in length generated more jobs than any other category, with 34 percent of total crew positions offered in this range. Jobs offered on vessels 51-70m vessels came in second with 32.4 percent of available positions.

The fact that this was not the case even three years ago shows that there has been an increase of vessels larger than 71m on the market, each requiring more crew than the average in previous years. This is iterated by the 5 percent reduction of jobs in the 31-50m category.

About 70.8 percent of positions offered were on board private yachts, with the remaining 29.2 percent offered on charter vessels. Just 4.4 percent of crew positions were for captain.

A yacht job trend that remains consistent is the increasing number of those looking to start a career at sea. Last year saw new candidate registrations increase by 22 percent.

For more information, visit www.ypicrew.com.

Related Posts...
UPDATE: Wed., Sept. 20 Click for Hurricane Maria update for Read more...
The Marine Industry Cares Foundation in South Florida has organized Read more...
UPDATE: Mon., Sept. 18 Barbuda’s ambassador to the United States, Read more...
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jacksonville District, awarded a Read more...

Share This Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer the question below to leave a comment. * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Editor’s Picks

Hurricane Maria impacts Caribbean as a major storm

Hurricane Maria impacts Caribbean as a major storm

UPDATE: Wed., Sept. 20 Click for Hurricane Maria update for Sept. 20 from Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)'s …

Competition, workshops for interior crew at Monaco

Competition, workshops for interior crew at Monaco

Stews, don't miss the chance to strut your stuff at the Monaco Yacht Show this year. G.U.E.S.T. (Guidelines for Unified Excellence in …

Windowless cars, damaged boats, rare flights aid Tortola escape after Hurricane Irma

Windowless cars, damaged boats, rare flights aid Tortola escape after Hurricane Irma

By Dorie Cox The first frightening trip was out the door of the hotel bathroom. Four charter boat guests stood up from the floor of …

Yacht crew gather after weathering Hurricane Irma in UMC

Yacht crew gather after weathering Hurricane Irma in UMC

About 100 yacht crew and industry professionals gathered under the tiki hut at Universal Marine Center last night (Sept. 14) for a …