PBIBS17: Nautical quiz, part 2
Let’s see how nautical you (or your mates) are. Take the rest of our little quiz. Scroll down for the answers:
- When two power vessels meet and are at a half mile or less distance, two short whistle blasts means what: I am leaving you on my port side, or I am leaving you on my starboard side.
- How many compass points are there?
- What is the difference between flotsam and jetsam?
- How many of the roughly 200 nations of the world do not border an ocean or sea? 30, 75, 120 or 165?
- How many oceans are there on Earth?
- What does it mean to wank?
The answers are below…
- Starboard side
- Flotsam is part of a wreckage or cargo found floating on the surface of the sea. Jetsam is parts from a ship intentionally thrown overboard.
- Just 30 countries are landlocked.
- Even though the ocean is divided up into seven parts, each with its own name, there’s really only one ocean, all interconnected.
- To wank is to manipulate the hand bilge pumps on the old sailing ships. Therefore, those who manned the pumps were wankers, (We kid you not. Courtesy of Capt. Christopher Hezelgrave.)