Yacht industry rallies to send relief resources to islands
Many yacht industry businesses are sharing links to favorite charities and are organizing drives to gather relief resources to send to islands in the Caribbean damaged after several hurricanes this month. The Triton is sharing many of these links below.
To submit, please contact Editor Dorie Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IGY Marinas and its parent company, Island Capital Group LLC., have sponsored the creation of an organization to raise money for relief. The NYC Eastern Caribbean Relief Fund Inc., is in the process of filing for 501c(3) status such that contributions to the enterprise may be tax deductible. With your help, it is our goal to raise $5 million to provide the fundamentals of survival to families that have suddenly found themselves cast into chaos and in a fight for survival. Checks should be made payable to “The NYC Eastern Caribbean Relief Fund Inc.” and sent to: Island Global Yachting Ltd., c/o The NYC Eastern Caribbean Relief Fund Inc., 717 5th Avenue NY, NY 10022 USA.
- Sail Aid UK started with a group of five marine industry stalwarts with strong links with the Caribbean who have created a major fundraising initiative to support its victims, for details visit www.sailaiduk.com.
- YachtAid Global organizes resources, including megayachts, to provide disaster relief.
- Pacific Bound Yachts seeks volunteers to travel to Puerto Rico on Wednesday (Oct. 4) to deliver donated supplies, according to president/COO, Lisa Greenberg. She is working with the Lipstick Foundation.Greenberg’s Facebook post states: “We so appreciate everyone who is willing to go down to help, but due to the circumstances, we are asking only those who are physically fit, willing to work long hours (12 – 14) outdoors, and can lift a minimum of 25 lbs. Being bilingual and/or having any medical training is a huge plus. It will aid in assessing who might need to be evacuated. The task will be to help distribute donations to the hardest hit areas and probably help teach people how to use the water filtering systems.”Volunteers are also needed in Broward County, Fla. to help sort donations and administrative support.
- M/Y Grey Matters will depart Fort Lauderdale for St. Martin and Barbuda with relief supplies. They request donations of: Children’s/baby items (formula, clothing, toys, diapers), medical supplies, dental hygiene products, adult clothing (gently used including crew uniforms). Please contact Freedom Yacht Management office at 2019 SW 20th St., Suite 102, in Lauderdale Marine Center by no later than Monday October 2 at 5 pm.
- Sea Shepherd recommends Operation Sint Maarten. The Sea Shepherd vessel John Paul Dejoria is transporting supplies to Sint Maarten and Sea Shepherd is purchasing food for the island’s homeless dogs and cats.
- Horizon Yacht Charters in the BVI has started the Horizon Yacht Charters BVI Staff Fund. The company reported severe damage during the passage of Hurricane Irma and created a fund to assist the Horizon staff.
- Luxury Law Group in Fort Lauderdale is supporting the island of Dominica and recommends several ways to help: Donate funds to www.gofundme.com/islandhurricanerelief; purchase medical kits to donate on Amazon; or send donations to Dolphin Aviation/Attn: Island Hurricane Relief at 3495 SW 9th Ave, Fort Lauderdale (33315), 786-543-1141 and National Jets/ Attn: Island Hurricane Relief at 8191 North Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, Fla. 34243, 941-321-1705. For questions contact Luxury Law Group at 786-543-1141 or email@example.com.
- Marine Rebuild Fund is working to rebuild cruising grounds, beaches, and marine facilities, reestablish marine vocational initiatives and to grow the Virgin Island’s marine industry. Contact is Oriel Blake @ VI Professional Charter Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sail Me Om is working with local boaters, sailing groups, Puerto Del Rey Marina, Dream Yacht Charters through charities at http://sailorshelping.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/sailorshelping/about/.
- Three Sheets Sailing & Yacht Sea Boss are working together out of St. Croix to assist the BVI with charities at BVI Hurricane Irma Relief Fund.
- VI Strong recommends The West Side of Puerto Rico Rescue and Relief.
- The Waitt Institute & Waitt Foundation, in partnership with International Community Foundation (ICF), have established the Barbuda Recovery & Conservation Trust Fund, and state that 100 percent of the money donated to this fund will go to Barbuda and its people.
- Hurricane Irma BVI Relief is a resource of links to information regarding specific sites for donations, volunteers, news and other information.
- Greater Houston Community Foundation established Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.