The Triton


Industry seeks clarification on yacht cruising licenses

Posted on by in

Rumored denials of cruising licenses to U.S.- and foreign-flagged yachts in South Florida during the past several months have led key industry groups to ask U.S. Customs and Border Protection to explain recent interpretations of the law.

Trey Reeder works with yachts as director of the yacht division of customs brokerage firm Howard S. Reeder. He is busy now with yachts scheduling trips to the United States and the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show.

“I am clarifying rumors with people in Europe that are planning to come for the boat show,” Reeder said. “They call and say, ‘I hear I can’t come because I am for sale.’ ”

Click to read details on U.S. Cruising licenses.A handful of yachts have been denied a cruising license upon entry in South Florida. The issue that seems to trigger the denial relates to the word “sale”.

“If they are listed for sale, or are for sale, then CBP is saying you are here for sale, not for cruising,” Reeder said. “And CBP is saying that any offer for sale, even if not for sale in the U.S., you are still for sale. And they say even if you pay the duty you won’t get a cruising license.”

But the industry groups read the law differently. Florida Yacht Brokers Association, Marine Industries Association of South Florida and the U.S. Superyacht Association have enlisted Jennifer Diaz, founding partner of Diaz Trade Law to formally request clarification.

“The law has not changed, but CBP isn’t granting cruising licenses as they had previously,” Diaz said. “We’re seeing arbitrary decision making in South Florida local customs offices saying who is entitled and who isn’t.

“The big takeaway is, if a foreign yacht is for sale, it nevertheless is still entitled to a cruising license,” Diaz said. “You are entitled to do both at the same time. It should not be one and the same. Customs is dumping it in one bowl.

“The fun part is, even if it is for sale, who cares?” she said. “A search shows 365 yachts not for sale in the U.S. but for sale outside of the country. There is nothing wrong with that.”

Reeder has found a way to help his clients, at least in the short term.

“Basically, I tell them they may be denied a cruising license but are welcome to come and cruise with their boat by using a permit to proceed,” he said.

In order to cruise in U.S. waters, yachts may request a cruising license or a permit to proceed. The permit, Form 1300 – Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement, requires yachts to check in at each new port. Longstanding federal law — Code of Federal Regulations 19 CFR 4.94 – Yacht privileges and obligations — outlines the information required to apply and the wording on issued cruising permits.

Diaz’s letter to CBP cites concern that local and federal economies could be adversely affected and expressed urgency to clarify interpretations before the the upcoming Ft. Lauderdale boat show scheduled for Nov. 3-7.

“Now local CBP will be speaking with the national headquarters so customs can discuss this internally,” she said. “This is an informal way for them to solve this.”

Said Reeder: “We are saying this has been ruled on multiple times, and these yachts should be issued a cruising license.”

Dorie Cox is associate editor of The Triton. Comments on this story are welcome at


About Dorie Cox

Dorie Cox is editor of The Triton.

View all posts by Dorie Cox →

Related Articles

Customs and Border Protection yacht captains letter template

Capt. Bill Hipple of the 130-foot M/Y Lady Kath shared this sanitized version of his crew letter. Captains may use it as a template for a personalized letter for crew joining the yacht. Capt. Hipple …

Americas Cup to increase safety after racing death

The America's Cup announced 37 safety recommendations in response to the suspension of the summer racing series following the death of crew Andrew “Bart” Simpson. Simpson died on May …

Danelec gets OK for new ECDIS

Denmark-based Danelec Marine received approval from DNV GL for its new ECDIS models DM700 and DM800 G2, meaning the products meet all applicable technical requirements, including the new IEC 61174 …

From blown engine to major refit: Introducing the M/Y Serque

From blown engine to major refit: Introducing the M/Y Serque

By Carlos Miller During his 20 years working in the yacht business, project manager Greg Cox has overseen more than 50 projects, mostly repainting and refitting boats. Not one of those projects …

Palumbo Group leases Mondomarine shipyard

Italian new-build and refit company Palumbo Group has taken over the former Mondomarine shipyard in Savona, Italy, on a six-month lease. Mondomarine had been a major player in Italian shipbuilding …

NOAA to improve chart coverage

NOAA to improve chart coverage

The United States’ NOAA is drafting a plan to improve nautical chart coverage, products and distribution. The National Charting Plan describes the evolving state of marine navigation and nautical …