FLIBS17: Test your mates
A final installment of nautical knowledge for you and your mates.
- What is “MARPOL”?
- How do you calculate a vessel’s gross tonnage?
- Which IALA buoy system follows the “red right returning” rule?
- In which direction is the Panama Canal in relation to Fort Lauderdale?
- What’s the difference between a voyage and a passage?
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE ANSWERS ………
- The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973, as amended.
- Use the following empirical formula to calculate gross tonnage: LxBxD (depth, not draft) x .67 (for power) or .5 (for sail) divided by 100.
- Region B
- Nearly directly south.
- A voyage is the full journey, outward and return. A passage is a trip between two ports.