USCG seeks advisory committee applications
The U.S. Coast Guard is seeking applications for membership on the Merchant Marine Personnel Advisory Committee (MERPAC).
The committee acts solely in an advisory capacity to the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security on matters relating to personnel in the U.S. merchant marine, including training, qualifications, certification, documentation, fitness standards, and other matters as assigned.
The committee meets at least twice a year, while subcommittees and work groups may hold additional meetings for specific tasks. Committee members serve a term of up to three years, and are limited to two consecutive terms. The position is unpaid, and there is no compensation provided by the federal government, although reimbursement for travel and per diem costs may be available in some cases, when in accordance with federal travel regulations.
Applications are sought for the following four positions, which will be vacant as of June 1. Eligible candidates must have the required experience listed.
- One position for a member who serves as a representative of merchant marine engineering officers. Eligible candidate must be licensed as either a limited chief engineer or a designated duty engineer.
- One position for a member who serves as a representative of qualified members of the engine department. Eligible candidate must hold a current merchant mariner credential with an engineering rating endorsement.
- One position for a member who serves as a representative of shipping companies employed in ship operation management. Eligible candidate must show significant knowledge and experience of shipping companies and ship operation management.
- One position for a member who serves as a representative of the state maritime academies, as identified in 46 CFR 310 subpart A. Eligible candidate must be jointly recommended by such state maritime academies.
Those interested in applying must do so by Feb. 4. A cover letter expressing interest, identifying the applicant’s preferred membership category, and a resume detailing the applicant’s experience should be sent in one of the following manners:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: The Merchant Marine Personnel Advisory Committee.
- Fax 202–372–8382, ATTN: Mr. Davis J. Breyer, Alternate Designated Federal Officer.
- Mail: Mr. Davis J. Breyer, Alternate Designated Federal Officer of The Merchant Marine Personnel Advisory Committee, Commandant (CG–MMC–1)/MERPAC, U.S. Coast Guard, 2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE, Stop 7509, Washington, DC 20593–7509.