The Triton

Topics

Report: Expect four major hurricanes this season

ADVERTISEMENT

The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, is expected to generate 16 storms, eight of which will be hurricanes. Four of those are expected to be “major hurricanes”, reaching category 3, 4 or 5, according to a recent report from meteorologists at Colorado State University.

Over the past 30 years, an average of 12 storms developed, yielding an average of 6.4 hurricanes, 2.7 of which were major (on average).

The scientists predicted:

  • a 69% chance that a major hurricane will make landfall in the United States; the average for the past century is 52%
  • a 58% chance that a major hurricane will track into the Caribbean; the average for the past century is 42%

In 2016, there were four major hurricanes, including Matthew. In 2017, six major hurricanes formed in the Atlantic basin; three (Harvey, Irma and Maria) hit the United States and Caribbean. Two major storms were produced in 2018, Florence and Michael. And in 2019, three major hurricanes formed, including Dorian. 

If this year’s predictions prove accurate, 2020 will mark the fifth year in a row of above-normal hurricane activity.

To read the full report, click here.

Related Articles

Five major hurricanes still expected this year

Five major hurricanes still expected this year

Weather forecasters at Colorado State University and NOAA have updated their hurricane forecasts and now expect there to be as many as 25 hurricanes this year, with five of them expected to be major …

AccuWeather predicts 5-7 hurricanes this season

AccuWeather predicts 5-7 hurricanes this season

Weather forecasting company AccuWeather is predicting that this year’s Atlantic hurricane season will see 12 to 14 storms, of which five to seven are expected to become hurricanes, with two to …

Sea Science: Storm surge magnifies hurricane havoc

Sea Science: Storm surge magnifies hurricane havoc

Sea Science: by Jordanna Sheermohamed With the 2019 hurricane season officially underway, many are actively keeping a wary eye on the Atlantic basin. Portions of the U.S. were lucky to dodge …

NOAA, too, predicts busier-than-normal hurricane season

NOAA, too, predicts busier-than-normal hurricane season

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, has forecasted an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season for 2020, with a likely range of 13 to 19 named storms (winds …

Sea Science: Six conditions indicate hurricane on its way

Sea Science: Six conditions indicate hurricane on its way

Sea Science: by Jordanna Sheermohamed As we near the end of the Atlantic Hurricane Season, which is June 1-Nov. 30, many wonder how we can become better at predicting cyclones by understanding …

Sea Science: Hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones have differing intensity scales

Sea Science: Hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones have differing intensity scales

Sea Science: by Jordanna Sheermohamed Tropical cyclone is, by definition, a universal label for a system originating over tropical waters of clouds and thunderstorms that exhibit a closed …

Comments

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer the question below to leave a comment. * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.